Thursday, February 16, 2012

"If I Were Mayor, I Would..." Essay Contest

Essay Contest

Sixth graders across Georgia are invited to become city leaders in the “If I Were Mayors, I Would . . .” essay contest. Materials for the contest – brochures and posters – was mailed out to schools and city halls at the end of December. The deadline for entries is Friday, March 2, 2012.

City officials are asked to encourage 6th graders in their area to participate in the essay contest. The contest is open to all 6th graders, including home schooled students and private school students. The contest is a way for city officials to begin educating students about the role city government plays in their lives and community.

According to contest rules, every essay must begin with the sentence, “If I were mayor, I would” and essays may not be longer than 350 words. They can be either typed or hand written, but must be legible and have the student’s name and school on them.

One winner will be chosen from each of GMA’s 12 districts, and will be selected by a panel of city officials. Each winner will receive a $250 savings bond and other small prizes. Winners will be notified by the end of March, and will be invited, along with their teachers, parents and mayors, to a luncheon in Atlanta in April.


"If I Were Mayor, I Would..." Essay Contest Information



My class assignment - Students have been working on their rough drafts during several class periods.  February 29, students will type and print their papers in the school computer lab.  All students are required to complete this assignment, though each class may have a different requirement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment